[pmwiki-users] Selecting a Wiki engine...

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Wed Oct 4 11:08:53 CDT 2006

On Wed, Oct 04, 2006 at 07:29:15AM -0700, pmwiki at 911networks.com wrote:
> On Wed, 04 Oct 2006 09:41:26 +0200
> "Oliver Betz" <list_ob at gmx.net> wrote:
>
> > great. I don't necessarily trust any ranking (as in DokuWiki),
> > but context makes it much simpler to rate the results.
>
> 1. If there is an exact match with the word typed being part
> of a wiki page, these pages will be listed immediately, [done
> by AJAX] in a drop down menu.
>
> 2. If there is an exact match with the word typed being part of a
> wiki page, these pages are listed separately at the top of the
> result page.
>
> 3. Dokuwiki shows the number of times  the word occurs in the
> wiki page, and shows a few words before and after the hit.
>
> All of these is what make Dokuwiki so powerful. It's very easy
> to find stuff, and this is the major weakness of PmWiki.

There's absolutely nothing that prevents someone from
inventing a replacement search engine for PmWiki, or using
JavaScript/AJAX to improve the existing interface.  :-)
I may do it eventually in the core, but it's always good
to see other prototypes.

As far as item #3 goes:
  - what if there are multiple words being searched, show a
    count for each word?
  - show a few words before and after "the first hit" or "every hit"?