[pmwiki-users] RFC -- POP3 to PmWiki

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Wed Oct 4 11:22:50 CDT 2006

On Wed, Oct 04, 2006 at 11:09:36AM -0500, Ben Wilson wrote:
> On 10/4/06, Patrick R. Michaud <pmichaud at pobox.com> wrote:
> > One interesting approach that could make things "push based"
> > might be for pmwiki.org (and/or others) to offer a generic
> > mail-to-wiki gateway service for PmWiki sites.  Such a service
> > would scan incoming mail for wiki posts, and then use standard
> > HTTP calls to post the content to the appropriate wikis.
>
> I have Pywe that allows CLI editing of remote pages locally by
> mimicing browser behavior. It's also designed to take local text file
> and post. So, it would easily be recruited for the task.

I already have pmwe that does the same thing, so I'll probably
use it.  But thanks.  :-)

> Subject = SiteName:Group.PageName (e.g. pmwiki.org:Magazine.SuperFlyArticle).
>
> Again, the email-from address would be compared to a table of
> authorized users for the given target site. This mitigates having to
> have a specific email address for each site on the gateway server.

Well, that's why I chose the specific format I did for the email
address... wikigateway+pmwiki at pmwiki.org  is really just one
email address (<wikigateway at pmwiki.org>) but the +... information
can be used to distinguish the sites.

It also means that individual sites can set up their own
mail-to-wiki gateways using a simple email forwarding address
(e.g., abcwiki at example.com forwards to wikigateway+abcwiki at pmwiki.org).
Otherwise the people using the per-site mail address have to
know to put the sitename in the subject line or body of
each mail message, or a simple forward isn't sufficient.