[pmwiki-users] RFC -- POP3 to PmWiki

Ben Wilson dausha at gmail.com
Wed Oct 4 16:35:36 CDT 2006

On 10/4/06, Patrick R. Michaud <pmichaud at pobox.com> wrote:
> I started with a version of a tear line myself this morning, then
> I realized that someone might actually want to use "--" in the
> markup itself.  So then I switched to the directive form, especially
> since authors are likely to be minimally familiar with a directive
> anyway.

The '--' is commonly used to separate .sig from the body of an email.

I don't see why the fuss for such separations in the first place. Just
assume the page content is either a replacement for, or addition to a
page. Any special macros for email posting are removed by the tool
during the process. The poster should know to remove any extraneous
content---just as if he was posting to a discussion list. Perhaps
there is a check for '^--\\n' to separate .sig from the post, but not
necessary.

Pagename is easily put in the subject of the email. As the title is a
part of page markup, then it can be in the body of the email. Heck, a
shared email gateway could even use Site:Group.Pagename to link
between the emailer, the site and the page. This is simple and
efficient.

Filter the author from the 'From' email address. No need for
username/password in the clear. If the site knows the email address
and that author has permission, then post. Again, this is efficient.
Posting back is a way of ensuring the email address has not been
co-opted---which would be an even greater problem if you passed
username/password in an email.

--
Ben Wilson