[pmwiki-users] Mailling list Reply-To:

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Thu Oct 5 11:07:16 CDT 2006

On Thu, Oct 05, 2006 at 09:24:39AM +0200, Oliver Betz wrote:
> Patrick R. Michaud wrote:
> > I have to agree with Nils on this one -- I particularly like
> > that responses to messages I've written come more quickly and directly
> > to my inbox via the 'Cc:' line.  There are times when the mailing
>
> As I wrote: this argument is "pro Reply-To: modification" (to both
> the sender and the list) because several people usually reply _only_
> to the list address. "Reply to all" is bad, IMO.
>
> BTW: if the direct mail arrives first, and you reply to it, you don't
> have the headers (e.g. List-Post) from your list manager.

Well, I use "Reply to all" as my standard reply function (I've even
remapped the normal reply key in mutt to be "reply to all"), so the
lack of a List-Post header hasn't been an issue for me.  But your
point is well taken.

> > to the list"), what mail clients should be doing is to set
> > the common/generic "reply" function to give priority to any
> > address given in the List-Post header if it exists.
>
> Maybe we get some more mail clients where the user can select this in
> the future.

I'm not holding my breath.  :-)

> For me, both versions are acceptable. Usually I recognize if the mail
> is not sent back and I send it again (like Caveman/The Editor). I
> could even set a filter modifying the Reply-To:.

Now, *that*'s a cool idea -- just put in a filter converting any
List-Post header into a Reply-To address.  I like it.