[pmwiki-users] RFC -- POP3 to PmWiki

Phil Randal phil at rebee.clara.co.uk
Fri Oct 6 14:59:48 CDT 2006

Patrick R. Michaud wrote:

>> But we also need to figure out a common API for the email end.
>
> Yes.  I'm very open for suggestions here.  My only major request
> for the email end is that authors not be restricted to submitting
> whole messages -- I definitely want a way to delimit sections to
> be posted.  It's nice if the delimiters are unobtrusive or
> otherwise can make sense to someone reading the mail.

I see two tasks here.

1:  getting input from incoming emails

2:  sanity-checking and posting it

Now, I kind of like this "bulk input of pages" to PmWiki, idea, but I
wouldn't want it to be limited to just scanning POP3 inboxes.

So how about a "pickup" directory into which files can be dumped, which
are then picked up and added to the wiki?

That way, I could, for example, run simple (or not so simple) scripts
which dynamically create content in the form of plain text files, put
them in the pickup directory and lo, there they are in the wiki.

An email to wiki converter could do the same thing - take emails, try to
make sense of them, and dump the relevant portions into the pickup queue.

The pickup queue processor could be also programmed to rate limit the
input of pages from this source - treat it as a queue, and process in
timestamp order.

Cheers,

Phil