[pmwiki-users] Ghost pages in 2.1.5

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Fri Oct 6 19:40:08 CDT 2006

On Fri, Oct 06, 2006 at 07:21:03PM -0500, Chris Cox wrote:
> Chris Cox wrote:
> > I tried deleting some pages in 2.1.5... I tried deleting them with the normal
> > delete, I've tried removing the files (including the del- files).  But when I
> > do a search (e.g. group=Hosts), the returned list includes a non-existent
> > page link to the page I deleted.  Where on earth is this coming from?
> > I've tried removing the .pageindex and restarting apache.  What am I missing?
>
> I would appear that moving the files to some subdirectory is not a good
> answer.

When looking for page files, PmWiki searches wiki.d and all of its
subdirectories for pages.  It does this for sites that have the page
files spread out across multiple directories (e.g., a separate
directory for each wikigroup).

Given that PageStores can be given arbitrary directory paths
and $...Fmt strings, I haven't come across a good way to figure
out which directories are valid pagestores and which are not.

> Once I removed the files permanently, the problem seems to have
> gone away.  However, why deleted pages are counted in the search
> is still a mystery to me.

It's arguably a bug, so I'll see about fixing it.  Someone else
ran across this issue earlier in the year.  However, making
the extra call to PageExists does increase the overhead slightly.