[pmwiki-users] PmWiki group configuration for dummies

Crisses crisses at kinhost.org
Sun Oct 8 07:47:13 CDT 2006

On Oct 7, 2006, at 11:15 PM, Donald Z. Osborn wrote:

> A couple of questions from a true non expert in this:
>
> 1. When I create a new wikigroup that's simple enough. (I believe
> that that is reflected only in the file(s) added to the wiki.d
> folder - ?)
>
> 2. Changing a skin in the config file is straightforward.
>
> 3. BUT, when it comes to setting skins for groups, I don't follow.
> In one place it seemed like there were alternative suggestions to
> add lines in the config file (but I didn't get the syntax) or
> create local/Group.php files. I think I'm missing an essential
> piece of the logic in how all this is set up
>
> My need is to set up 50+ groups (initially of one page each) with
> * a skin setting for each (all the same to start but option to
> change individual ones later)
> * different language settings (many English, many French, a few
> Portuguese. I'll get to the language later, I think, but maybe
> those commands should be done at the same time; language will be
> set once and for all for each case, in principle

Skins & Languages:
http://pmwiki.org/wiki/PmWiki/Internationalizations tells you how to
set up the language translations

Thus you can make a local/GroupName.php

<?php if (!defined('PmWiki')) exit();

//change to French language
XLPage('fr','PmWikiFr.XLPage');

// Set the skin for the group
$Skin = 'french';

Since this file is only read when loading a page in a specific group,
it sets the skin for any pages viewed in that group.

> * password setup: one existing edit & one admin for all, but with
> option to set individual passwords for groups

The overall is set in config.php:

$DefaultPasswords['admin'] = crypt('secret');
$DefaultPasswords['edit'] = crypt('nosecret');

The individual group passwords are set in GroupName.GroupAttributes?
action=attr in the wiki itself ("GroupName" needs to change to the
name of the group... i.e. Main/GroupAttributes, PmWiki/
GroupAttributes).  That option always exists from within the wiki,
and you can create a group of people able to set the attributes
(passwords) of pages and groups.  See the PmWiki/AuthUser directions
for using groups in PmWiki:

$DefaultPasswords['attr'] = '@moderators';

> What is the simplest way to do set up such configurations for
> multiple groups? What is the most flexible way to do this? Are
> these the same?

I don't know any other way to do this.  Other people can chime in --
but these are the basic directions.

Crisses