[pmwiki-users] wikilink question

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Thu Oct 12 11:06:38 CDT 2006

On Thu, Oct 12, 2006 at 08:21:51AM -0700, Pico wrote:
> > From: "Patrick R. Michaud" <pmichaud at pobox.com>
> > Note that at some point in the future [snip] links will become relative to the
> > page in which they are written.  In that case you'll want to
> > write the links as:
> >
> >     * [[{*$Group}/Topic1]]
> >     * [[{*$Group}/Topic2]]
> >     * [[{*$Group}/Topic3]]
> >
> > so that they always refer to "Topic1", "Topic2", "Topic3" in the
> > currently displayed group.
> >

> Are you saying that the explicit reference to the currently displayed
> group will be required when links are manually entered in pages,
> or just in pagelists?

Neither.  I'm saying that for pages that are displayed in the
context of other pages (e.g., using (:include:) or on pages such
as the SideBar), then links are relative to the included page
and not the currently displayed page.

Thus, if Site.SideBar has a link like [[Topic1]], it will refer
to Site.Topic1 by default.  To get it to refer to Topic1 within
the currently displayed group, one has to use [[{*$Group}/Topic1]] .

> If they will be required in all pages, would you consider a leading dot,
> or slash, or both, similar to the trailing dot and slash used to refer
> to the home page.

At the moment I'm wanting to save leading slashes and/or dots
for potential use in a multi-level grouping scheme.  Besides,
the need for {*$Group} in links is really quite rare.

The SideBar case being discussed in the original post is a bit
special, because the admin wants to have a common Site.SideBar
page that has links to Topic1, Topic2, Topic3 in every group.
Normally the sidebars contain links to a specific page in a specific
group, in which case it needs to be fully qualified anyway.