[pmwiki-users] Standalone Problems

G H gegohouse at gmx.net
Sun Oct 15 07:58:25 CDT 2006

Novice user here. While browsing I found PMwiki and wanted to
implement my personal notebook with it on my local pc.

I am using a laptop with Win XP Pro Service Pack 2. This is what I
did:

1. 2 HDDs - I installed in D:\wiki\
2. downloaded server.zip from Cookbook\Standalone and executed it
3. tried to run it, didn't work ( http:\\localhost\wiki\ )
4. tried to provide the install dir manually in pmwikiserv.bat and
pmwikiserv.php but it didnt work. I tried it with and without a final
\ after the dir and there were two reactions:

When written with a \ at the end (D:\wiki\) a dos windows flashed for
a sec and my PC told me to "Echo off" (hope this is not his way of
saying f*** you)

When written without a \ at the end, a loop started which could only
be terminated by closing the Dos win by force (hargh) with my poor
laptop brabbling the following lines ad infinitum:

--start--

<b>Warning</b>: socket_accept<> unable to accept incoming connection
[0]: Ein ungueltiges Argumet wurde eingegeben (translation: no valid
argument).

and
again

--stop--

I then looked into line 84 to see what my laptop was crying about...

--start--

# MainServerLoop creates a socket for incoming connections,
# binds the socket, waits for an incoming connection, and then
# calls ProcessRequest() to process the connection.  Someday we'll
# turn this into a threaded server, but for the moment it can only
# handle one request at a time.

function MainServerLoop() {
  global $Listen, $AcceptSocket, $PmWikiDir;

  set_time_limit(0);
  chdir($PmWikiDir);

  list($ip, $port) = explode(':', $Listen, 2);

  if (!function_exists('socket_create')) dl('php_sockets.dll');
  $AcceptSocket = socket_create(AF_INET, SOCK_STREAM, 6);
  socket_bind($AcceptSocket, $ip, $port);
  socket_listen($AcceptSocket);
  print "Started...ready for requests\n";
  while (true) {
    $ClientSocket = socket_accept($AcceptSocket);
    ProcessRequest($ClientSocket);
    socket_close($ClientSocket);
  }
  socket_close($AcceptSocket);
}

--stop--

Alternative:

So I tried an alternative by installing Abyss Webserver X1 with php 5.
Works fine but I do not have the knowledge on how to get to my wiki.
Opening php files with dreamweaver does not seem to be the way...

So far so bad - anyone here to suggest something to get this thing
startig on my laptop ?

Cheers,

a hopeful

gego

Patrick R. Michaud <pmichaud <at> pobox.com> writes:

> Actually, I wasn't feeling like doing much else this weekend
> so I went ahead and implemented a "standalone system" for PmWiki,
> now available at http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Cookbook/Standalone.
> It's primarily targeted at Microsoft Windows hosts at the moment,
> although with a minor configuration change it can run within Unix
> environments.

Very, very novice user here. I like the idea; I can play with the skins and such
without having to upload files to my main server all the time. (I modify things
in many tiny steps.)

But, I can't get it to work.

I installed the standalone server as described in
http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Cookbook/Standalone  (the server.zip file), ran the
.bat file (and kept it running).

I then tried to run pmwiki.php in my browser (Firefox 1.5).

The browser shows me a bunch of what looks like code for a fraction of a second,
then says:

Firefox can't find the file at /C:/Documents and Settings/All
Users/Documents/data/_sandy/pmwiki-play/$pageurl.

Any ideas?

Susan