[pmwiki-users] Hiearchical Groups Proposal.

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Tue Oct 17 23:48:54 CDT 2006

On Fri, Oct 13, 2006 at 11:45:42PM -0400, Stirling Westrup wrote:
> Patrick R. Michaud wrote:
> > A couple of questions for this proposal.  (I'll probably have more,
> > but these are the ones that jump out at me at the moment.)
> >
> >  - Where are group attributes stored?  Or do we simply say that
> >    any passwords on a page automatically apply to all of its
> >    subpages except where overridden by a subpage?
> >
> >  - How do we handle GroupHeader and GroupFooter?
>
> I would like to say that any passwords on a page automatically apply to
> all its subpages except where overridden, but I also don't want to break
> working wikis where the attributes for SomeGroup are stored in
> SomeGroup.GroupAttributes.

One outcome of this approach is that it's not possible for a group's
"home page" to have a different set of passwords from other pages
in the group.

> Ideally GroupAttributes, GroupHeader and GroupFooter would eventually be
> migrated into the metadata for a page, and would apply to that page and
> all its subpages.

If GroupAttributes, GroupHeader, and GroupFooter become page metadata,
that would seem to imply that we need a mechanism to be able to
edit these metadata.  And presumably we should keep track of
the history for these metadata items as well.

Not saying these can't be done, just pointing out the logical
conclusions.