[pmwiki-users] Images: width and height attributes

Allister Jenks arj at zkarj.co.nz
Thu Oct 19 19:10:41 CDT 2006

On 10/20/06, Patrick R. Michaud <pmichaud at pobox.com> wrote:
> The one exception to this might be image attachments, where
> PmWiki does have direct access to the image file and therefore
> could potentially automatically determine width and height
> values for the image tag.  But since that means creating and
> maintaining a new set of image-tag-handling-functions, I've
> gone with PmWikiPhilosophy #3 (avoid gratuitous features)
> until there's enough demand/demonstrated need for it.

I would hardly rate it a gratuitous feature.

Philosophy 1 says "favor writers over readers".  Philosophy 2 "Don't
try to replace HTML" and goes on about not wanting to make markup
ugly.  As a writer, I find this

%width=150px%%height=50px%Attach:someimage.jpg

Neither favorable nor pretty when I know there is a powerful engine
helping me build my pages.

And yes, I know a page will render correctly when these attributes are
omitted.  However, it is considered good form to include dimensions on
all images so that the browser is not constantly rebuilding the page -
which is incredibly distracting to the user.

But then I guess I'm trying to favor the reader.  Who cares about
readers, anyway?

--
Allister