[pmwiki-users] Simple table grid with single character cells

Pico pmwiki at ben-amotz.com
Sat Oct 21 22:09:41 CDT 2006

Pico wrote:
> Any interest in writing this, or at least giving me some hints how I
> might approach it?
>
> Disclaimer: I've never coded any php, but I can read enough to hack my
> way out of a small paper bag.  Given the modest requirements set forth
> below, the code could be child's play, or fun, or both (or neither).
>
> Questions:
>
> 1. How would I code a markup rule to create a table where each cell is
> only one character (or stated conversely, where each character occupies
> its own cell)?
>
> 2. Can that code be incorporated to work with simple tables?
>
> Markup:
>
> Assume a markup delimiter of three pipes ||| to start (and end) this
> special grid-table rule.  (It could be anything else, but a variation on
> existing simple table markup seems reasonably intuitive to use and code).
>
> Examples:
>
> 1. Instead of writing this (using the existing simple table markup)
>
> ||1||2||3||A||B||C||a||b||c||-||+||=||^||_||
>
> I want a new markup markup that would let me achieve the same result as
> above by simply writing the following:
>
> |||123ABCabc-+=^_|||
>
> 2. Incorporated to work with simple tables, I want to generate the same
> results as these:
>
> ||Description||1||2||3||A||B||C||a||b||c||-||+||=||^||_||
> or
> ||1||2||3||A||B||C||a||b||c||-||+||=||^||_||Description||
>
> By simply writing the following:
>
> |||123ABCabc-+=^_|||Description||
> or
> ||Description|||||123ABCabc-+=^_|||

Oops, too many pipes in that last one, it should have been
||Description|||123ABCabc-+=^_|||
> What do you say, any takers (or, more precisely, givers)?

One more thing, in case it wasn't clear: white spaces *must* count as
discrete characters, so that the table grid that would result from the
following lines of current simple table markup:

||1||+||2||+||3||+||4||+||1||+||2||+||3||+||4||+||       ||
||X|| || ||X|| || || ||X|| || ||X|| ||X|| || || ||Clave  ||
|| || ||S||S|| || ||O||O|| || ||S||S|| || ||O||O||Quinto ||
||O|| || ||B||S|| || ||B||S|| || ||B||O|| ||O|| ||Conga  ||
||M|| || || ||M|| || || ||M|| || ||O|| || || || ||Bombo  ||

Could be generated by the following lines of proposed table grid markup:

|||1+2+3+4+1+2+3+4+|||       ||
|||X  X   X  X X   |||Clave  ||
|||  SS  OO  SS  OO|||Quinto ||
|||O  BS  BS  BO O |||Conga  ||
|||M   M   M  O    |||Bombo  ||

(These examples illustrate a simplified hand drum notation. The
particular patterns shown are from Afro Cuban carnival rhythms called
Congas and Comparsas).

Pico

--

         __  /