[pmwiki-users] Using Page Text Variables {$:Var} for multi-line Includes

Pico pmwiki at ben-amotz.com
Tue Oct 24 08:26:18 CDT 2006

Patrick R. Michaud wrote:
>>> The classic approach to this is known as the "heredoc", where one
>>> says "everything up to XYZ marker".  So, something like this could
>>> work if we assume that the XYZ marker is "a blank line".
>> Actually this would be the perfect solution for me.  PLEASE do this,
>> or make it an option.
>
> We just need to come up with a syntax for specifying the end-of-text
> marker, assuming that someone wants blank lines in the value.

Well, I'll just toss these out to start people thinkiing:

1. ::
2. (::)
3. (:)
4. :
5. :end

1. Because that is the way we end multi-line >>styles<<  But this
pattern is already used by Jr's Cookbook/MarkupExtensions

2. To hide the colons in a directive pattern and distinguish it from
Jr's markup.  This looks like it wants to be a more universal markup
that could close other directive that allow for multi-line

3. Simplified version of 1 and 2

4. Like (:ifend:)

Pico

--