[pmwiki-users] Best practices for "archives"

Crisses crisses at kinhost.org
Tue Oct 24 08:55:08 CDT 2006

On Oct 23, 2006, at 11:01 PM, Russ wrote:

> Hi Chris,
>
> Would a "virtual archives" work?  Perhaps have [[!Current]] ,
> [[!Maintained]], and [[!Archived]] categories, and include / exclude
> pages from searches and pagelists based on the page category.  You
> could
> even use conditional (:if:) statements to change the category from
> [[!Current]] to [[!Archived]] past a certain date when you create the
> page, eliminating the need to go back and re-assign the page later.
>
> The reason I suggest categories is that you don't need to move or
> rename
> any resources ... if someone bookmarks a page, it will still be at
> that
> location if they come back weeks or months later (that also makes it
> search-engine friendly).  You might also want to look at the
> WPCategories recipe (http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Cookbook/WPCategories)
> if you want to easily display the applicable category at the bottom of
> the page.
>
> Russ
>
> Content Management Systems - e-Commerce - Internet Strategy
> http://www.InternetAdvisor.ca

I don't THINK that searches listen to conditionals on the page.  I'm
not even sure that the WPCategories does.  I had looked at MediaCat
(mediawiki categories) and I don't think it does -- I didn't look at
WPCategories very closely, and eventually made my own interpretation
of the recipes to do what I needed.

Other than that, yes, changing the categories on the page can work.
You can make a script button, add it to GroupHeader/GroupFooter, that
changes the category from [[!Current]] to [[!Archived]] -- or edit
the pages manually.

You can also have an "expiration date" for pages, but it would be a
bit heavier customization on the back-end to run the script to change
the pages -- one of my possible up-coming projects will have an
expiration script, upon which things will probably be deleted, but it
should be a pretty easy change from deleted to changing the category
from [[!Current]] to [[!Archived]].

Crisses