[pmwiki-users] Proposal: version control for cookbooks recipes

Stefan Schimanski sts at 1stein.org
Tue Oct 24 13:10:53 CDT 2006

>> As an example I just saw the update of the commentboxplus script of HansB by
>> accident. It took me quite some time to identify and apply his
>> (security-) fixes to my modified version, which even worse was based on
>> the commentboxplus2 version, juggling with patch, diff and wget.
>
> Sorry to hear about your troubles! As a rule I update
> commentboxplus2.php along commentboxplus.php, even if it is not
> mentioned on the page (I will make a note there about this).

Wasn't meant to be a complain. In fact I had modified commentboxplus2 as
well (uploaded it as -3 now ;-) hope it's ok)

> Unfortunately I have no idea what you are talking about, as I am not a
> person using Linux or Unix (I suppose the command you mention refers
> to that?) and don't know what "Subversion" is. Posting an updated
> script and documenting the change is work enough for me.

Subversion is a system to make all that as easy as before, but give a
lot of advantages you wouldn't have without, e.g.:
- history of all changes
- easy visualisation of the differences of versions
- possibility to do local changes,
- and keep those even during updates

See here:

 http://subversion.tigris.org/
 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subversion_(software)
 http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org/

Especially with the tool at the last link it is really easy to use, just
by clicking on "commit" in the context menu of explorer in Windows. It
will ask you for a short comment about your changes and then it's
uploaded. Look here how it looks like on the subversion server:

 https://skizzle.de/websvn/log.php?repname=sschimanski&path=%2Fpmwiki%2Fcookbook%2Fcommentboxplus.php&rev=0&sc=0&isdir=0

That's your commentboxplus which I keep there to track your changes.

> And to
> document in detail line by line the changes is beyond what I would
> want to do.

You don't need to do that either with a version control system.

>I do try to point out if the update is important, also
> here on the list. Just have not yet managed for the latest
> commentboxplus update.

was absolutely no complain, just an example that gave me the idea that
version control would help.

Stefan

P.S.: Thanks a lot for your work on commentboxplus and blogsimple!