[pmwiki-users] Proposal: version control for cookbooks recipes

Joachim Durchholz jo at durchholz.org
Wed Oct 25 12:15:11 CDT 2006

Crisses schrieb:

> I look forward to Leopard (OS X's next operating system version) because
> it will completely render thoughts of versioning software (Adobe's
> Version Cue for my graphic design work, or SVN or etc.) irrelevant and
> the only thing I have to do is continue to back my computer up daily
> (the entire computer will be version controlled -- WHEEEEEEE! ).

Versioning software does a whole lot more than keeping old versions around.

SVN even keeps tracks of a file rename. So you can look back in the edit
history of a file across renames and directory shuffling.
(OK, if Leopard can do that too, all the better *g*)

The other thing that Leopard most likely can't do is to merge changes by
multiple users. Say, two users with write access (one most likey coming
in over the LAN) edit a file, one manipulating lines 1-50 and the other
manipulating lines 80-100 - SVN can merge these changes. Leopard most
likely not.

Regards,
Jo