[pmwiki-users] WikiTrail enhancement request

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Fri Oct 27 10:11:37 CDT 2006

On Fri, Oct 27, 2006 at 02:18:44PM +0200, Dominique Faure wrote:
> I'm used to implement my own wikitrail version where I managed to
> circonvent some of the cosmetic defaults still present in the
> wikitrail code [1]. Now, I'm stuck with the following functional
> enhancement need, which I think requires some design feedback [2]:
>
> Having several lists on a wiki page, I want to be able to "isolate"
> the wikitrail reference list from the rest of the page, as the
> (:include:) directive does:
>
> * some list elements
> * out of considered trail
> [[#trail]]
> * list elements
> * used in the trail
> [[#trailend]]
> * ...

Note that it's not "all list items" that generate a trail  --
it's only those list items that begin with a link to a pagename
are part of a trail.

At any rate, it's not too difficult to create a delimited
trail within the existing markup -- if you can provide a
more detailed example of what's not working, I think I can
provide some relatively simple workarounds.

> The Wiki trail syntax could then become something like:
>
> <<|Group.Page#trail|>> or <<|[[Group.Page#trail]]|>>
>
> which provides the feature but may not be so nice to appear on the page.
> Therefore, I was wondering if we could consider a wikitrail as a kind
> of link and reuse its syntaxic features such as:
>
> <<|Group.Page#trail|My Wikitrail name|>>
> or <<|My Wikitrail name -> Group.Page#trail|>>
>
> and:
>
> <<|[[Group.Page#trail|My Wikitrail name]]|>>
> or <<|[[My Wikitrail name -> Group.Page#trail]]|>>
>
> Any comments?

Wikitrail markup already accepts links, as in

    <<|[[Group.Page | My Wikitrail name]]|>>

I'm not sure that it understands the -> link syntax, but
it could probably be made to work.

And yes, I recognize that this doesn't provide the "grab
only a section of a page" that you're referring to, but
(1) that's not really what link references do, and (2) I
think there are reasonable workarounds as mentioned above
(but I'm also prepared for that to be disproven).