[pmwiki-users] Is it time for a pmwiki-devel list?

The Editor editor at fast.st
Fri Oct 27 14:03:45 CDT 2006

On 10/27/06, Crisses <crisses at kinhost.org> wrote:

> On Oct 27, 2006, at 1:23 PM, Tegan Dowling wrote:
>

> This is why I've suggested having a bulletin board, instead of a
>
> mailing list.  A phpbb installation would not be a big deal to set up
>
> or monitor, I wouldn't think.  It would allow threads to
>
> self-organize, it would make it easy for people to participate at
>
> their level of expertise while still having an easy way to "evesdrop"
>
> or even kibbutz on discussions at other levels.
>

> Anyone care to explain why this would not be a good thing?
> It might work for some people.  It wouldn't work for me.
>
> I have a great email program, and I live in it.  I use it as a partial to-do
> list, it has good search features, etc.  It archives, and I take the info
> with me everywhere on my laptop -- and could even put messages on my iPod if
> I really felt like being weird.  I can choose whether and how to file
> things.
>
> At some point some of my friends moved to live journal, and other social
> networking sites.  I didn't get emails about what was up with them, no
> personal convo, and they said "if you want to know what's going on with me,
> come to my live journal page" -- guess what?  It doesn't work for me.  I
> check 2 things constantly.  My email, and my news reader.  There's not a
> single website I check constantly -- though RSS can bridge that gap.  I love
> RSS.  I love email.
>
> Now if someone says "read my live journal" my answer is "send me the RSS
> link". :P  I don't want to GO to the pmwiki user's forum.  I want the pmwiki
> user's emails to come to me.  I'm too busy to remember to do it any other
> way.
>
> If someone created forums that resolved that problem, I'm all for it.

ZAP can do it  : )

Well, ZAP can send out forum posts to a maillist...  The hard part of
course is getting incoming emails to go into wiki pages.  There was an
exciting discussion about that some time back.  If that could be done
it would be ideal--best of both worlds!  I'd REALLY like to see the
idea resurrected...  Esp if it was something other admins could also
set up for their sites.

The plus side to having maillist posts go into a searchable forum, esp
for the user listserv, is that many of the same questions are asked
several times.  I think many users would just as soon search and find
an answer right away as subscribe to the mail list, post a question
and then sit around and wait for a response.  It might even cut down
on some traffic.

It may sound kind of crazy, but I think such a wiki forum should be
completely open to editing.  So people can go in and touch up posts,
snip irrelevant parts, or rewrite them as desired to make them more
useful.  Nice if they could be threaded to make long pages. Keep the
current maillist archives for historical purposes.  But use the PmWiki
archives as something of a dynamic help manual.

Really good info could be culled out and moved to PmWiki docs, or to
recipes, etc.

Both Crisses and Pm had ideas for converting incoming emails to wiki
pages.  Could we do it?

Cheers,
Caveman