[pmwiki-users] links broken & relative nightmares

Stirling Westrup sti at pooq.com
Sat Oct 28 23:55:45 CDT 2006

Patrick R. Michaud wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 27, 2006 at 11:51:24PM +0100, Hans wrote:
>> Well after this debacle I vote for an easy to use version checking
>> mechanism for installed recipes, but it needs to be easy for a
>> thickbrained person like me.
>
> This came up just three days ago -- I noted in
> http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.web.wiki.pmwiki.user/34702
> that it would be good for recipe authors to start adding lines like
>
>     $RecipeInfo['RecipeName]['Version'] = '20061025';
>
> to recipes, so that we have a standard mechanism for recipe
> checking.  Then I'll implement a module that a site can use
> to check installed recipes against the latest versions on
> pmwiki.org.

I put a $RecipeInfo entry in my new <a
href="http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Cookbook/QuickReplace">QuickReplace</a>
recipe, but I was thinking of adding some extra fields and didn't know
quite how to put them in.  In the end I settled on:

// Standard Recipe Information for PmWiki
$RecipeInfo['QuickReplace'] = array
  ( 'Version' => '20061027'
  , 'Author'  => 'Stirling Westrup'
  , 'Email'   => 'sti at pooq.com'
  );

Which seemed at least minimally informational. I was tempted to also add
an entry for configuration wiki pages. I'm not sure what it should be
called or look like, especially as the recipe supports multiple sets per
configuration. Accuracy might require the recipe to generate entries like:

$RecipeInfo['QuickReplace']['ConfigPage'] = array
  ( 'Entities' => 'Site.Entities'
  , 'Acronyms' => array
       ( 'Site.Acronyms'
       , 'Group.Acronyms'
       , 'Page-Acronyms'
       )
  , 'QuickReplace' => 'Site.QuickReplace'
  );

And that seemed somewhat excessive (as well as being problematic to
parse). On the other hand, if this kind of information was routinely
provided by skins and recipes, it would be possible to have a
Site.Recipes and/or Site.Skins page that contained some sort of
directive that listed all the installed Recipes/Skins and what pages to
modify to configure them.