[pmwiki-users] Disabling default access keys

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Sat Sep 2 11:47:55 CDT 2006

On Fri, Sep 01, 2006 at 08:04:23PM -0700, H. Fox wrote:
> On 9/1/06, Jared Way <admin at jaredway.com> wrote:
> > I am new to PmWiki and really like it, however, there is one feature that is
> > driving me nuts:  it has a number of "built-in" or "default" access keys that
> > override those in Windows.
> >
> > Because of my anti-mouse attitude, I am a heavy user of ALT+... to get at menu
> > options at the top of my MS Internet Explorer, and, for example, ALT+A which
> > should take me to my favorites menu instead does something obscure with how my
> > page is positioned in its window.
> >
> > How do I tweak the settings on PmWiki so that these access keys are disabled?
>
> I'm not sure if they can be disabled, but change them to keys that
> don't interfere with menu options at the top of your MS Internet
> Explorer.
>
>    http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/PmWiki/AccessKeys

There's lots of ways to disable access keys.

One way is to turn off the defaults (in scripts/prefs.php) altogether, with:

    $EnablePrefs = 0;

Another way is to remap individual ak_* values from within config.php:

    XLSDV('en', array(
      'ak_view' => '',
      'ak_edit' => '',
      'ak_history' => '',
      'ak_print' => '',
      'ak_recentchanges' => '',
      'ak_save' => '',
      'ak_saveedit' => '',
      'ak_savedraft' => '',
      'ak_preview' => '',
      'ak_strong' => '',
      ));

Yet another way is to edit Site.PageActions and Site.EditForm to
remove the accesskey= modifiers in the defaults.

One can also create browser-specific preferences, as described
in Site.Preferences.

There's probably even more ways to do it than this, but these
are the basic ones.  (Keep in mind these only work for skins that
haven't hard-coded the accesskey values into the templates.)