[pmwiki-users] Converting PmWiki pages to static html

Ben Wilson dausha at gmail.com
Tue Sep 5 13:51:07 CDT 2006

On 9/5/06, Patrick R. Michaud <pmichaud at pobox.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 05, 2006 at 03:04:32PM +0000, Pico wrote:
> > At work we used (an internal) PmWiki to draft a large document (a separate
> > group, with a wikitrail and many pages).  At this point it looks like we are
> > unlikely to get get permission to use PmWiki outside of our firewall due to
> > concerns about being able to protect and secure a scripted program.
> >
> > Is there a recipe for converting PmWiki page to static html?  (We are not
> > looking at pdf, at least not now).

[snip Pm's recipe]

Hmm, after applying Pm's recipe, all you need is a cron to pull the
pages when there is a change. Perhaps looking for mtime on the wiki.d
would allow you to check for changes. You could ombine this with an
rsync to post the pages to the "live" server. IIRC, rsync only copies
the changed files (or only the diff of a changed file) between the
servers.

Assume you have a cron running every 30 minutes. You change a page
internally. The cron detects the change and retrieves the site. Rsync
then posts only the changed files. It may not be a fully dynamic
PmWiki site, but it's a close approximation.

You could even add an "oops" feature by having the cron only pull when
pages have changed 30-60 minutes ago; although that might require a
daily full pull to avoid a page that might slip through.

--
Ben Wilson
"All this worldly wisdom was once the unamiable heresy of some wise man." HDT