[pmwiki-users] Bibliographies

christian.ridderstrom at gmail.com christian.ridderstrom at gmail.com
Tue Sep 12 12:46:28 CDT 2006

On Tue, 12 Sep 2006, John Rankin wrote:

> On Tuesday, 12 September 2006 5:55 AM, Tom Backer Johnsen <backer at psych.uib.no> wrote:
> >John Rankin wrote:
> >> I'd like to propose a constraint that the implementation must be
> >> markup-agnostic, so that I can use it in wikipublisher. This of
> >> course is consistent with PmWiki's standard approach. Then in
> >> future, you will be able to export an entire page collection in
> >> Lyx format and I will be able to turn the collection into a pdf
> >> with a single click.

Eh... who wrote the above?  (I'm wondering because of the bit that the
whole collection should be in LyX format, rather than LaTeX)

> >That would be very nice.  Yes, thank you!  Who is going to do the
> >programming :-) ?
> >>
> I think the first step is to extract and summarise this thread
> into a proper specification, so we can see how big it is. This
> would identify possible phasing -- release early, release often.
> I will volunteer to do that on the wikipublisher wiki this week.
> That way, people can print and study the spec.

That's a good idea, please incorporate my user cases in another post. They
might need to be modified of course :-)

> I'd also like to explore the possibility of such a significant and
> widely-applicable piece of work being funded, either formally or
> informally. The ability to go from wiki page collection to camera-ready
> copy in a simple automated process is surely worthy of funding.

I think the ability to go from an (ordered?) set of wiki pages to a
typeset document is great, but to be honest I'm not sure I'd actually use
a wiki for the last step - at least not for serious work. A minor drawback
is the lack of control over the typesetting, although you can probably
work around this. The major drawback as I see it is the editing
interface... it's simply very annoying to edit large pieces of text inside
the browser. I guess this might change in the future though, especially as
wikis become more and more popular.

/Christian