[pmwiki-users] How much data can a wiki page take? (Was: Bibliographies)

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Tue Sep 12 13:05:12 CDT 2006

On Tue, Sep 12, 2006 at 04:27:05PM +0200, Bernd Wiemann wrote:
> Hallo Patrick,
>
> is there a possibility to prevent the pageindex-file to index the whole
> page? Something like $pageindex=20000 or action?=search.summary?

One can always turn the page index off completely, but I'm not
sure that works for what you're wanting.

> My wiki on localhost has about 3000 pages of articles and stories.
> 60 Mbyte Data + 10 MByte for the pageindex.
>
> Because running out of time when searching (the first time, but
> localhost has to many first times...)

Once the pageindex is built it shouldn't take that long.  Unless,
of course, you're having to clear the pageindex a lot.

At any rate, I'm not sure what sorts of limits you're wanting
to impose on the pageindex; I'd think that if it's only indexing
part of the page then it might not be of much use for searches and
the like.  But we could try to limit the amount that it indexes.

Are you just trying to reduce the size of the pageindex file, or
to increase the speed of searches, or ...?

Pm