[pmwiki-users] SpellChecker on a Farm

Ciaran ciaranj at gmail.com
Sun Sep 17 15:30:19 CDT 2006

On 9/17/06, Patrick R. Michaud <pmichaud at pobox.com> wrote:

> [Does anyone besides me think "Snakes on a Plane" whenever seeing
> the subject "SpellChecker on a Farm" over and over again?  ;-) ]
>
> > Pico wrote:
> > : JB wrote:
> > : > Pico wrote:
> > : > : I revised your edit to the documentation because there was no need
> > : > : to provide different sets of include lines for farms and
> non-farms; all
> > : > : installs can use the same line:
> > : > : include_once("$FarmD/cookbook/spellchecker.php");
> > : >
> > : > I do not think that is right.  Sometimes a local wiki which uses
> farm
> > : > recipes has one recipe that only it uses.
> > :
> > : I don't agree that this (and, for that matter, every other recipe)
> > : should have two different installation instructions for farm and
> > : non-farm installs just because someone with a farm might want to
> > : physically place the recipe in a field, instead of simply invoking it
> > : from the local field config.
> > : Does anyone think that JB has the better approach here and, if so,
> > : should it be adopted for all recipes?
>
> Here's what I think:
>
> First, I absolutely do not want to see two different farm/non-farm
> installation instructions in every recipe.
>
> Almost by definition, administering a wikifarm implies that the farm
> administrator be (or become) a bit more familiar with the way that
> filesystem paths and urls work in their particular farm environment.
> So, the standard instructions for a basic recipe ought to be for the
> simple non-farm case, and farm administrators should be making the
> adjustment to use include_once("$FarmD/...") as appropriate.  This
> is consistent with the way PmWiki's documentation is set up.
>
> Of course, if the recipe is primarily intended only for farm environments,
> then it's okay to use $FarmD/... for everything.
>
> On Sun, Sep 17, 2006 at 11:42:03AM -0400, Scott Connard wrote:
> > What concerns me a little more is the need to edit the source to change
> > "$PubDirUrl" to "$FarmPubDirUrl" for the SpellChecker script.  Is this
> > required for many other cookbook scripts?  Is there a way to engineer
> > a common solution for this problem?
>
> It doesn't happen often, as can be seen from the fact that there aren't
> many messages about such on the mailing list.
>
> Yes, there are ways to for recipes to make it easier on wikifarms.
>
> Option 1:  Use configuration variables
> --------------------------------------
> One easy way to deal with this is for the recipe itself to have its own
> configuration variable as opposed to always using $PubDirUrl or
> $FarmPubDirUrl.  Note that this is what PmWiki tends to do for its
> scripts and modules.
>
> In the case of the spellchecker.php recipe, it'd be a simple matter
> for it to do:
>
>     SDV($SpellerUrl, "$PubDirUrl/speller");
>
> and replace all instances of "$PubDirUrl/speller" or
> [...]

It really needs to incorporate a php-only spell-checker, but there wasn't a
suitable one available at the time I originally
'ported/contributed/proposed' this recipe, however one of the links on the
recipe pages now lists 'pspellX' as a possible fall-back position, it would
be nice if the script is being re-visted to bring that on-board ?

 - Ciaran [too tied up in a .Net + Java world to fix his old PHP/PmWiki
scripts currently :( ]

- Ciaran
(I now have far too many G-Mail invites available, anyone who wants one,
gets one)