[pmwiki-users] PmW Mag?

Crisses crisses at kinhost.org
Wed Sep 20 05:32:49 CDT 2006

On Sep 20, 2006, at 2:23 AM, kjettil wrote:

> Jon Haupt wrote:
>> On 9/19/06, Kathryn Andersen <kat_lists at katspace.homelinux.org>
>> wrote:
>>
>> What's wrong with "Magazine"?  That's what it *is*, isn't it?
>>
>> I totally agree.  The title could be PmWiki Magazine, and the
>> group on PmWiki.org could just be /Magazine, and I think that
>> makes sense.
>>
> I strongly support PmWiki Magazine - it may not be "sexy", but it
> tells exactly what it is (intended to be), also to people with a
> mother tongue different from English. PmWiki is used and
> appreciated by an international audience and should therefore
> address that audience. Even if the target area is the whole world,
> the language shall of course be the (only truly) international
> language, viz. English (sorry for that French and German colleagues!).

Yipes!  That's not what I mean by it -- but if someone's using an
auto-translator service "Magazine" translates where "Zine" "PMZine"
etc. will not.

I don't care what language is used the most on the net... if I were
trying to translate a foreign site, I'd appreciate if the words were
translatable!

> As regards contents: I can't find that anyone yet has written a
> book on how to set up a PmWiki site, like has been done for e.g
> Joomla. And there's probably no need, since PmWiki is so easy to
> set up and configure - and it's highly configurable and extendable.

Actually, I disagree.  A separate "How to set up PmWiki" pamphlet
would probably be terrific -- even if it were only 4 pages long :)
"PmWiki Noob to Pro in 4 Pages or Less!" ;)

> But in that versatility lies a problem, in particular for those new
> to the business (with varying degrees of knowledge of PHP, xHTML,
> CSS, server setup, etc). This list shows repeatedly that beginners
> encounter the same type of problems. ww.pmwiki.org is a wonderful
> source of tools, advice and help - but it takes months to find out
> how to use it effectively. PmWiki Magazine could do a lot to ease
> the setting up of PmWiki sites and relieve Pm from the burden of
> repeatedly having to give the same advice and help to beginners.

I doubt that someone looking to try it out is going to stop by the
magazine.  A serious & simple tutorial with literal step-by-step and
troubleshooting instructions rather than links back to the technical
(or more technical) documentation would be great.

I started a videotutorial (onscreen with voiceover) for PmWiki use
once. I haven't cleaned it up and done the post-production on it, and
could use to re-do it from scratch.  Bad me.

> But, experienced administrators also need advice and guidance, be
> it on a more advanced level. This list is a goldmine - but you
> can't reasonably read and remember everything. And, that day when
> you yourself have that particular problem, it may take a lot of
> time to find the advice in the archives. Therefore, articles for
> experienced administrators are also necessary.

We should label articles or tutorials with a Level.  Beginner,
Intermediate, Advanced, Contributor.  I could write reams about
debugging techniques for PHP for example, but it wouldn't be relevant
to everyone.

> As regards look and feel: To show the full capacity of PmWiki as a
> CMS, the PmWiki Magazine should have a CMS layout, with a nice CMS
> type skin.

And screenshots, photos, diagrams, charts, whatever -- some people
are visual learners, or at least need the other side of their brain
massaged occasionally.

Crisses