[pmwiki-users] PmW Mag?

Sandy sandy at onebit.ca
Wed Sep 20 11:03:14 CDT 2006

I like the idea. It would reduce the pressure to keep up with the user
group just in case there's an idea I could use, be more efficient than
the user group for searches, and be a way of moving alternate approaches
out of the core documentation.

Agreed the name should be translatable.

My dream PmWiki Magazine:

Regular schedule. Monthly or biweekly. If biweekly, some columns would
alternate, but make sure there's a good mix in each issue. Maybe email
the security / announce list when it's ready.

Summarize the user group discussions. Especially the ones where the
question and answer get refined over several posts.

Case studies. Get a variety of expertise levels and purposes.

Interviews. There are some really fascinating people and projects in
Users and Success Stories.

"Newbie Corner". Best practices and reason behind them. (yes, "best"
varies with purpose of site and skill of maintainer), simple case
studies, FAQ.

User Group Look-back. An interesting or useful discussion from 1-2-3
years ago.

Related Techie Stuff. All that stuff clogging my "to learn" list. I'm
sure there are lots of knowledgeable folks out there with at least some
of the same gaps. Things like:
* "All you really need to know about htaccess." (Still afraid to touch
it; just the name makes it sound like it could create a security hole.)
* PHP arrays. (There was a line of code about adding something to a skin
array, and my C/Basic/Pascal-trained brain balked.)
* CHMOD. What's with the period in the settings changing?
* Cookbook Comparison. What's the diff between similar recipes?
* CSS. Why bother with it? I swear I changed it to green. Useful utilities.

Include a "suggest / request an article" method.

Fun stuff:
Awards.
Challenges.
Quizzes.