[pmwiki-users] Simple markup question...

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Wed Sep 20 11:29:43 CDT 2006

On Wed, Sep 20, 2006 at 10:47:38AM -0500, Patrick R. Michaud wrote:
> [Going back to the original message to answer the original question,
> now that I understand what's being asked.  --Pm]
>
> On Tue, Sep 19, 2006 at 05:03:28PM -0400, The Editor wrote:
> > On the page I write (:textarea FieldName:){$FieldName}(:textareaend:)
> >
> > [...] But unfortunately when if I include markup code like colors [...]
> > the textbox it comes all messed up with html code.
>
> In other words, you want to replace {$FieldName} by its contents
> but not process any other markup that comes in as a result.
>
> PmWiki doesn't have anything like that built-in, you'll have to
> have some custom code to do it.  Which means that you either need
> a custom markup that means "replace page variables but Keep() the
> results", or a custom page variables that return text as escaped
> values using Keep().

In the realm of "interesting observations", if we had the
{(function)$var} capability available, then it would be possible
to write something like:

    {(keep)$FieldName}

which would substitute the {$FieldName} variable and immediately
put it in a Keep() block so that the value of {$FieldName}
would not get any further markup processing.