[pmwiki-users] Using IP's in PmWiki

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Thu Sep 21 15:01:38 CDT 2006

On Thu, Sep 21, 2006 at 02:57:46PM -0500, Ben Wilson wrote:
> Why not just redirect users outside the IP range to a "You're not
> permitted in there. It's restricted" page?[1] Then, any attempt to go
> to a PmWiki-managed page is redirected to that static dead-end page.

Because someone might want more subtlety than that -- i.e.,
someone outside of an IP range may still be allowed to view pages,
but not edit.  Or, everyone can edit, but only certain ranges
can upload, etc.

> Apart from that, I think it would definitely be worthwhile to have an
> Intranet-only authentication method on the Cookbook.

...and I'm thinking there ought to be an article somewhere on
authorization techniques in general.  :-)

Pm