[pmwiki-users] Planning for 2.2.0

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Sat Sep 23 08:19:19 CDT 2006

On Sat, Sep 23, 2006 at 01:20:13PM +0100, Marc Cooper wrote:
> Joachim Durchholz said...
> > Marc Cooper schrieb:
> > > I'd not heard of this, but its advocation of markup treating a line
> > > break as a line break is enough to having me running a mile from it.
> >
> > Actually I found that attractive.
>
> [...]
> I'd go as far as to say that the folk who advocated a "standard" syntax
> for a text markup that includes this rule do not understand the most
> basic aspects of the writing process - it's that bad a decision.

I think I should interject at this point that the handling of linebreaks
was one of the most contentious issues in PmWiki's early history.
It turns out there's almost a perfect 50-50 split on the issue of
making linebreaks fold text or produce line breaks.

As such, there's no obviously "right" or "wrong" answer -- as with
many things it depends on the types of authoring being performed.
Either approach makes sense.

PmWiki resolves this problem by supporting *both* approaches
through the (:linebreaks:) and (:nolinebreaks:) markups.