[pmwiki-users] pmwiki-2.2.0-beta3 released (new pagelist code)

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Wed Sep 27 15:01:03 CDT 2006

On Wed, Sep 27, 2006 at 12:26:39PM -0700, Martin Fick wrote:
> On that note, the links= is not really that clear
> either, linksto=  would seems clearer and then maybe
> linksin= or linksfrom= would make more sense.  links=
> could be deprecated in this case and removed at some
> much later point?

I had a very strong reason for using "link:" here, as
this is what Google uses in their queries to find pages
that link to a given url.  :-)  For example, a
Google search for "link:www.ntlug.org" returns a list
of pages that have a link to www.ntlug.org.

But I wouldn't have a major hernia with changing
these to "linksto=" and "linksfrom="  (leaving the
existing "links=" option as meaning "linksto").

> > In the case of (:pagelist targets=Main.*:), should
> > pagelist make sure that each page is listed only
> > once?
> > In other words, if both Main.ABC and Main.DEF have
> > links to Main.WikiSandbox, should Main.WikiSandbox
> > appear once or twice in the resulting list?
> >
> > I'm guessing "once", but with trails it's possible
> > for a single page to appear multiple times in the
> > same list.
>
> Well, while we're on a pagelist extravaganza, what
> about allowing trail=Trail.* before answering the
> question above?  What would we want to do in this
> case?
>
> I don't think that the * option would be particularly
> valuable, but certainly the idea of concatted 2 trails
> seems valuble?

Yes.  The existing trail= option preserves page
sequence order, and allows duplicates, so it seems
to me that concatenating two or more trails ought to
also preserve sequence order and allow duplicates.

But I think we could reasonably default to saying
that pagelists produce lists of unique pages by default
(this is what most expect), and have a "duplicates=yes"
option that allows duplicate entries to appear in the
list when it's desirable for them to do so.

> Of course, another way to do that is with the
> PageListWikiTrail recipe where you can put a pagelist
> on a trail page and have it expanded: simply make the
> pagelist reference a trail on another trail page. :)
> You mentioned once that you were considering adding
> that feature, is it possibly on your radar now?

It's on my radar but still a ways off.  I want to see
how the new pagelist core shakes down a bit before
committing to a particular implementation of wikitrails
using pagelists.  But it's likely that the trails code
will get a substantial update, and that one will be
able to do things like

    <<|[[!Category]]|>>
    <<|(:pagelist group=Main:)|>>

fairly soon.  (I haven't decided if/how I'll allow
pagelists to appear within wiki trails -- again, pagelists
eat up a lot more resources than other PmWiki constructs.)

> > So, maybe what we need is to default to a unique
> > list of pagenames, but provide an option that says
> > "it's okay for a page to appear more than once in the
> > list".
>
> In light of the duplicates on trails, a
> unique=true/false switch would be nice with the
> default being true for targets= and false for trail=.

For consistency and ease of description I've been
thinking that maybe we just default all pagelists to
be unique, and authors will have to remember to use
the "duplicates" option on trails if they need it.

Thanks!