[pmwiki-users] newbie installation trouble

Crisses crisses at kinhost.org
Thu Sep 28 08:47:24 CDT 2006

On Sep 28, 2006, at 7:43 AM, potax flan wrote:

> i just tried editing the index.php by clicking on the "edit" link in
> the footer and nothing really happens. it redirects me to
> XXXXX/index.php?n=Main.HomePage?action=edit
> but i cant really edit nothing there. i guess its something about
> permissions?
> sorry if this is very obvious!

Hi,

Using the wiki, you never actually edit "index.php" using the wiki
software.  Main.HomePage is the default "opening page" of the wiki
installation.

Assuming a new web visitor goes to http://yourdomain.com/ they will
hit the wiki software which redirects them to Main.HomePage.

So edit Main.HomePage and treat it as your home page for your website.

If you can't edit the page by clicking on the "edit" link, does it
give an error?  It should give you a form that allows you to type in
it.  You can hit "preview" to see what happens to the page from what
you've entered into the form (sometimes the preview is presented
under the data entry form, so scroll down to see the preview--don't
forget to save if you're happy!), or "save" to save the page -- this
will bring you back to the new Main.HomePage where you will see your
handywork.

If you can give someone your URL for your domain to look at what
you've done, maybe they can guide you as to whether or not there's a
problem.

Crisses