[pmwiki-users] Meetup? Drupal?

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Thu Sep 28 14:51:57 CDT 2006

On Thu, Sep 28, 2006 at 02:32:33PM -0400, Sandy wrote:
> Patrick R. Michaud wrote:
>
> > I don't think PmWiki is (yet?) the best tool for managing mailing lists.
> > If I did, then we'd probably be using it for managing pmwiki-users.  :-)
> > I'm not saying it can't be done, just that it hasn't been a high
> > priority for us yet.
> >

> What including the mailing list archives part of the PmWiki site search?
> Won't solve the problem under discussion, but it would make searching
> for PmWiki details easier.

You mean that PmWiki's search isn't slow enough already?  ;-) ;-)

But really, this question gets to the heart of a small quandary
with pmwiki.org -- on one hand, we want pmwiki.org to be of use
to people looking for information, but on another hand pmwiki.org
is a demonstration of PmWiki itself, so we don't want it to stray
too far from what someone would get from just installing PmWiki.

So, if we change the search function on pmwiki.org to go too
much beyond what the core provides, it might be confusing or
misleading to people who are first encountering PmWiki.
On the other hand, if we leave things as they are, we're not
being as helpful to information seekers as we'd like.

I haven't come up with a good solution to this.  :-|

At the moment, the best solution I can come up with for pmwiki.org
is to modify the search results page to also have a link with
"search the newsletter archives via Gmane".  Then someone could
quickly go from the pmwiki.org search results page to a search
of the newsletter archives, yet it would be somewhat obvious
that this is not something that is built into the core PmWiki search.

Thoughts?