[pmwiki-users] Farms

DaveG pmwiki at solidgone.com
Thu Apr 12 06:29:32 CDT 2007

On Thu, 12 Apr 2007 10:54:49 +0200, Mark Trumpold <mark at ruthtrumpold.id.au> wrote:
> Hi again
>
> After a little more reading I still have questions;-)
> Do I install a new 'empty' or 'dummy' pmwiki that all the existing wikis get
> there scripts etc etc? The way I look at it it would make upgrading easy
> and safer (less risk to the existing Data. So if something were to go wrong
> with the dummy wiki the others would be still ok.
That's the approach Ben Wilson documents on the FarmSetupByExample page. I didn't take that approach yet simply because I already set things up another way, but when I get some time I will likely switch. Logically having the PmWiki engine separate from all farm data (local, wiki.d) makes more sense, and is less prone to errors when upgrading.

> If I do that will it affect the wiki.d directory that has all my valuable
> pages? I read somewhere that it will make a new wiki.d for any wiki new to
> a farm. I don't mean new wiki but existing wiki joining the farm.
In this type of setup you simply move the wiki.d to another directory. Essentially the wiki.d in the PmWiki engine directory will not be used.

Whilst experimenting, simply make a backup copy of wiki.d. That way if something does get overwritten, you can simply copy it back.

 ~ ~ Dave