[pmwiki-users] Read-protecting Site.*

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Thu Apr 12 08:48:30 CDT 2007

On Thu, Apr 12, 2007 at 09:24:04AM -0400, Neil Herber (nospam) wrote:
> But of all the suggestions made so far, I think that a Site.Versions
> page would be the best repository for version info from any of the
> scripts that make such info available.

I like the Site.Version idea.  I wonder if it would be worthwhile
to try to integrate Cookbook.RecipeCheck as a component of Site.Version.
I'll have to think about that a bit.

But Neil's comment prompts me to yet another topic...

> If I wanted to, I could read protect the page.

Administrators often want to restrict browse access to pages
in the Site.* group.  The natural (and obvious) approach is
to place a read password on Site.GroupAttributes, but that's
often problematic because some pages in Site.* need read
access in order to work properly.  These pages include:

    Site.PageActions
    Site.PageListTemplates
    Site.LocalTemplates
    Site.EditQuickReference
    Site.UploadQuickReference
    Site.PageNotFound
    Site.SideBar

So, I'm thinking that perhaps the cleanest approach would be
to add special read passwords (similar to '@nopass') to the above
so that they can be accessed even when the Site group is
read protected.

Thoughts?