[pmwiki-users] MarkupExpressionsExtensions

Neil Herber (nospam) nospam at eton.ca
Sun Apr 15 12:59:55 CDT 2007

Please see my comments in the snipped mail below:

The Editor wrote:
> On 4/15/07, Patrick R. Michaud <pmichaud at pobox.com> wrote:
>> The Editor wrote:
>>> Just released (renamed actually) a recipe entitled
>>> MarkupExpressionsExtensions which adds a number of extensions to Pm's
>>> recently released MarkupExpressions recipe.
>> Since several of these extensions have obvious relation to ZAP
>> (even going as far as including "ZAP" in the configuration variable
>> name or function name), could we possibly rename the recipe
>> to the shorter ZAPExpressions?

I would prefer to see these called ZAPExtensions as well.

>> - I think {(server ...)} really ought to use the actual $_SERVER
>>  names instead of introducing its own.  Otherwise authors have
>>  to learn a different set of names for things that already have names.
>
> Perhaps, but an admin that knew enough php to know all the server vars
> would probably just be doing page variables or setting up their own
> local extensions. My position as usual is to help those who don't
> really know php.  Here's a comparison of the terms I chose and the
> actual definitions.  Perhaps others would like to weigh in on which
> would be simpler or more clear to use:
>
> return        HTTP_REFERER
> browser     HTTP_USER_AGENT
> secure       HTTPS
> ip              REMOTE_ADDR
> host          SERVER_NAME
> software    SERVER_SOFTWARE
> query        QUERY_STRING

Absolutely stick with the $_SERVER names. I use them lots of places and
don't want to have to learn synonyms. And I am not a PHP programmer!

--
Neil Herber
Corporate info at http://www.eton.ca/