[pmwiki-users] anchor in url prevents editing

Sandy pmwiki at onebit.ca
Mon Apr 16 15:50:43 CDT 2007

JB <jbit <at> bitlink.com> writes:

> > The # is a " fragment identifier" used by the browser only.  Nothing
> > after the # is sent to the server because the # defines the end of a
> > query string.  ?action=edit needs to be to the left of the # .
>
> Hans said:
>  > Where are the broken links coming from?
>
> It is coming from the browser URL bar when someone is at URL
>
>    http://gnuzoo.org/test/AdvancedTableDirectives#zebratables
>
> and they click in the browser URL bar and add "?action=edit".

Why are they manually typing in "?action=edit" ?

1. If they are used to doing that much, it's not too much to teach them
the rest. (More than is preferred, but it sounds like a group of users who
can learn.)

2. That page shows the edit link. PmWiki correctly links to
http://gnuzoo.org/test/AdvancedTableDirectives?action=edit
from the edit link, even if the last-entered/clicked URL had the #.
Although, with the length of that page I can see why they'd not want to
scroll up to it. Maybe break it into smaller pages?

Sandy