[pmwiki-users] google ads paradox

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Tue Apr 17 14:03:17 CDT 2007

On Tue, Apr 17, 2007 at 08:48:41PM +0200, Hans Huijgen wrote:
> Well, PM is testing some ways of advertising.
> At this moment it gives an interesting paradox.
> If I want to support pmwiki I can click on one off the ads. But than I
> have to click on an ad of which I certainly don't want to support like
> projectform or etouch. And most of the ads are for other wiki's.... Is
> there a exclude function in google adsense so you can prevent other
> wiki-systems to hire space on pmwiki.org (or in another form for an
> other site).

Yes, AdSense provides an exclude mechanism to prevent "competitor"
ads from appearing on pmwiki.org -- I've already blocked a few
addresses that probably appear contradictory on pmwiki.org .

However, it's also a situation where I'm not too worried about it --
if someone follows an ad from pmwiki.org and they find something that
better fits their needs, that's possibly better for all concerned.

So, if you find an ad on the site that seems like it perhaps shouldn't
be there, let me know the page and url that appeared and I'll
see if it should perhaps be blocked.

Thanks!