[pmwiki-users] Best practices - link to pages

Stéphane Heckel hsteph at club-internet.fr
Tue Apr 24 07:47:45 CDT 2007

"Ben Wilson" wrote :

>> Is there a way to link to a page that is not stored in the "current"
>> group
>> without declaring the groupname in the syntax ? (ie :
>> [groupname/pagename])

> No, you can't; and shouldn't. Think about this in reverse. When pages
> are stored in wiki.d, the are "GroupA.Pagename." format. When you link
> to [[Pagename]], the system intuits that you mean GroupA.Pagename and
> not GroupB.Pagename, when you are in GroupA. If PmWiki were "strict"
> in your naming each page, you would always have to write
> [[GroupA.Pagename]], even on a page in GroupA.

Hi Ben,

With the use of  $PagePathFmt (
http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Cookbook/PagePaths ) suggested by Kathryn, I can,
but I have to "manually" take care of "duplicates".
I also understand that I can introduce "inconsistency" using this approach.
As I'm moving from Confluence (where there is no duplicated pages at the
'space' level) to PmWiki, I know that there is no issue doing that.

What I'm trying to do now, is to create a bidirectional system where both
Confluence & PmWiki users can update pages using the same markup.
I want to be able to copy/paste from Confluence to PmWiki & vice versa
without changing anything.

The next issue I will face is if PmWiki users want to create "new" pages, I
have to find a way to assign the new "pages" to the right "group", ...
ie : I have 2 main  groups "Country & Partners", ... I collect partners name
for each country.

I can have a [Country.Russia] page where I store [Partner1] [Partner2] ...
[PartnerN] infos
ie, ff [Partner2] does not exist and if I click on it to create the page, I
should assign the group "Partners" to [Partner2] and not "Country" because I
want all partners to belong the "Partners" group.

So, somewhere I have to prompt the user "which group" he wants to assign to
this new page !
Any clue how to do that ?

Best Regards,

SH