[pmwiki-users] LaTeX markup and PmWiki

José Geraldo Gouvêa jggouvea at globo.com
Tue Apr 24 11:22:48 CDT 2007

Kathryn Andersen escreveu:
> On Mon, Apr 23, 2007 at 10:16:27PM -0300, Jos? Geraldo Gouv?a wrote:
>
>> b) The second tool is to export PmWiki documents to LaTeX. As we all
>> know, pdfLaTeX produces beautiful PDF documents with just a bit of
>> configuration. If the action=print transforms PmWiki markup into basic
>> LaTeX markup you can just cut'n'paste it into a properly configured
>> LaTeX document and get a pretty printed document.
>>

> I believe the PublishPDF recipe
> http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Cookbook/PublishPDF
> does something like this, though I think it exports to some XML
> format and uses a server which does the convert-to-LaTeX and
> convert-to-PDF stuff.
>
> Kathryn Andersen

There are four reasons why I would like to have my own solution instead
of PublishPDF:

a) PublishPDF is overkill.
b) PublishPDF is hosted externally.
c) PublishPDF "exports to XML and uses a server which converts to LaTeX
and then to PDF"
d) It doesn't provide me control of the output.

I want:
a) A simpler solution, for simpler documents
b) Using built-in conversion features
c) Without the need of an intermediate format and without the need of an
external server
d) Producing LaTeX output, which I can choose to publish to PDF
according to my own specifications.

As an advanced LaTeX users, there is a lot I could do with a document
marked in LaTeX, producing very professionally looking documents. I even
consider using xelatex instead of pdflatex to be able to use system
fonts instead of LaTeX fonts. PublishPDF is a black box. I cannot
customise it.

José Geraldo