[pmwiki-users] Editform: clearing a page text variable, escaping directives

Petko Yotov 5ko at free.fr
Sat Apr 28 18:27:16 CDT 2007

On Saturday 28 April 2007 19:10, Patrick R. Michaud wrote:
> > I was thinking not of session data, but more of a hidden form field as
> > in: (:input default request=1 source=DataPage:)
> >    translated to:
> >    <input type="hidden" name="_ptv_were_prefilled" value="1"/>
> >
> > when there is a "source=DataPage" parameter, it was pre-filled.
>
> Oh, something like that might work.  I'll keep it in mind.

Oh, this could easily be done by a recipe, if you feel it is not for the core,
provided that there is an option "treat empty field as modification to
empty".

> [...]
> > For me, the most consistent behaviour would be, from a posted "editform",
> > to always escape "(:" inside PTVs, advanced editor or not. If it is
> > always escaped, there is no problem, only in the "editform" mode, to
> > "unescape" back the "(&#x3a;" into "(:".
>
> Oh, I understand what you're referring to now.  You're saying
> that it should be switched back only when using an editform.
> That's possible... but it also has a bit of the "spooky action
> at a distance" sort of take to it.

Sorry I am not a native English speaker (not always understand everything,
sometimes not easy to explain what I mean), I will be more carefull.

(Sometimes I understand code better... ;-) )

> My current thought is that we simply add spaces, so that
> "(:" and ":) are converted to "( :" and ": )" and leave it
> at that.  That preserves safety, still looks reasonable when
> editing, and makes it relatively clear as to what is going on.

Yes, I agree with that. Thank you!

Petko