[pmwiki-users] Standalone observations

Petko Yotov 5ko at free.fr
Mon Apr 30 11:36:00 CDT 2007

On Sunday 29 April 2007 04:04, Petko Yotov wrote:
> Hi Patrick and all,
[...]
> 1. [Fixed] On my system there are five php binaries (probably some are
[...]
> 2. [Not fixed] The wiki does not behave well with browser caching
> $EnableIMSCaching = 1; : if I hit Shift+Reload in the browser (clear the
[...]
> 3. The Browser cache-control probably may be added to the server,
> for the HandleFile() function.
[...]
> 4. I wish to have an action HandleExit() that would stop the server. It is
[...]

I was working on the server and made the following changes:

* Autodetect the PHP binary (hopefully fixes #1)
* Clear environment variables set by browser after each request -- before they
were all visible on the next request, even it they were intended for another
file. This fixes #2
* Enable HTTP 304 response also for not modified files (fixes #3)
* Allow direct requests to pmwiki.php and to favicon.ico
* Redirect to /wiki/ if root dir requested -- now a http://localhost/ request
will not return a "404 not found" but will redirect to /wiki/ where PmWiki
is.
* The NotFound() text now has a link back to the /wiki/ main page.

Please see the attached file.

Note: the improvements should also work in Windows, not only GNU/Linux.

I also wrote a HandleExit function, and a simple directory listing, but they
are experimental, and not included - if anyone is interested, I'll be happy
to release them. (The Listing ignores .htaccess files, not sure how to handle
this). More features means more places to introduce bugs, so that calms
down...

> I am absolutely thrilled that I finally managed to start and use the
> standalone version of PmWiki!!! Now I can wiki even if I am lost in a place
> without the tinyest WiFi access... :-))

I am still very excited about this, and any feedback on the changes will be
more than welcome.

Thanks,
Petko