[pmwiki-users] Guitar Tab (was: Bridge stuff)

Martin Fick mogulguy at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 30 13:29:14 CDT 2007

--- Dominique Faure <dominique.faure at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 4/23/07, Martin Fick <mogulguy at yahoo.com> wrote:
> > Anyone wnat to bite and make a nice guitar tab
> > recipe?

> Somewhat already been done ;) with the help of the
> DomTT recipe and a bunch of CSS styling there (top
of
> page):
>
> http://gnuzoo.org/guitarstuff/AliceCooper/Eighteen

Actually, I found there is actually a PmWiki ChordPro
recipe which does almost the same thing that your page
has... see my ChordPro thread.  Good start, thanks!

> but as the bottom of the page may suggest, guitar
> songs aren't easy to describe using regular text.

Hmm, you should look at abctab2ps:

http://www.lautengesellschaft.de/cdmm/

I have hacked (with some issues remaining) Patrick's
abcmusic recipe to handle this format also, you can
see an example here:

http://www.theficks.name/Test/ABCTab2

But I am also taking this one step further and have
started creating an asciitab to abctab converter
(ascii2abctab) so that the same thing can be written
like this:

http://www.theficks.name/Test/ASCIITab

If you scroll down (scrolling is an artifact of my
hacked abcmusic multi page support), you will see that
it can even support chords!  This is in the very early
stages of development, but it does produce some
simplistic results. I will release this soon along
with PmWiki support when it has had a little more use
and testing.

A more advanced example that I am hacking on:

http://www.theficks.name/Songs/U2AllIWantIsYou

This is still very messy... the goal is to be able to
simply paste in ascii tabulature found on other sites
(such as this example)

Thanks,

-Martin