[pmwiki-users] Speed up PmWiki

Martin Spindler spindler at isg.cs.uni-magdeburg.de
Fri Aug 17 01:36:40 CDT 2007

Petko Yotov wrote:
> It seems (to me) easier for a user to do nothing than to press some
> button/call some url every time pages are saved and the cache needs to be
> updated.

I am even more confused now. Are you talking about how the
server-scripts are executed? Of course, the user simply needs to click a
button (e.g. edit) to let the static pages be removed automatically. I
just want to make clear, that I don't want to have any extra checking
before new static pages are created. I only need the guarantee, that the
pages are really exported as a static page (and that  there is no
'smart' checking that prevents the page from being exported). And I
don't care about read-permissions, random-values or whatever.
> If you are the only person who visits and edits the wiki, it is ok. But when
> you have a couple of dozens of non-technically aware editors, men and women,
> young and less young, in one case they just edit pages (stressfull enough),
> in the other you need to explain to them : After editing the page, please
> click on this button, then on that link, write (:staticcache on:), etc. or
> else either our visitors will still see last-year's page, or our server will
> crash, and it's your fault. :-)

There is no young women or men or whoever editing my site. I am the only
one. That's why I don't care about any 'smart' checking.  (And I even
did not care, if a user actually would see an out-of-date page.) So, why
make things complicated, if there is no need to?

Therefore, I only want to have something like this:

$StaticPageExportNoChecks = true;
$StaticPageExportClearCacheAfterEditing = true;

That's it. (And of course there needs to be some .htaccess configuration and the code for writing/deleting the static pages).

Martin.