[pmwiki-users] making brute force attacks more difficult #2

Christophe David pmwiki at christophedavid.org
Mon Aug 20 15:16:22 CDT 2007

> I propose two things:
> - bind the session to the remote ip address and the user agent
> - restrict a login from a remote ip address if there are more than 5 bad
> logins within the last 2 hours
> What do you think ?
> Code:

It looks very interesting.  Thanks a lot for sharing this.

May I suggest you to make a recipe with this code and publish it in
the cookbook ?  I am pretty sure there would be a lot of interest for
it, and we would get more comments/suggestions and reports.

Anyway, I will try this very soon on my own as my logs keep showing
automated login attempts and I definitely want to stop them.

Just an idea: when an attack is suspected, we could also sleep() for
30 seconds before returning anything, that should calm things too...

Thanks again for your help.

Christophe