[pmwiki-users] need photo gallery solution

Petko Yotov 5ko at free.fr
Fri Aug 24 17:22:31 CDT 2007

On Friday 24 August 2007, Russ Fink wrote:
> Hello - I'm sorry if this is off-topic, but I'm in urgent need of a photo
> gallery solution.  I have on the order of hundreds of photos, with about a
> dozen more being added weekly, and want a simple "drop-n-go" gallery
> solution.
>
> My photos are of varied resolutions, from 1900x1200 to 3300x2600 or
> somesuch.  I would like to have a gallery that gives thumbnails, and when
> the thumbs are clicked, deliver full-sized images.
>
> I'd be able to create a page on my site, and have my wiki link off to it,
> taking users to see thumbnails of the photos.  They would be able to click
> the thumbs and get a larger image.  A nice, but unnecessary feature would
> be to have a slide-show capability on some select pages.
>
> Superideally, it would integrate with PmWiki seamlessly and be supported
> (nominally) by some markup.
>
> Do you have any ideas of what I can try?

See http://pmwiki.org/wiki/Cookbook/Images and make your choice, there may be
some recipe that does it all... :-)

> I would like an auto-resize-on-the-fly feature to enforce 1024x768 max size
> regardless of underlying image size, but if that's too much to ask, I would
> also like to know about any drag-n-drop image resizers that I could use
> prior to uploading the images.

Some PHP installations are unable to load and process very big pictures, you
really may need to resize your pictures down.

If you are still using Windows, for me the best freeware thing to manipulate
pictures is IrfanView (http://www.irfanview.com/). You do "File-Batch
conversion" (or press "b") and you can select the files that need to be
resized down (its term is "resample") or whole folders, the new size, and it
converts them in one go.

On modern systems such as GNU/Linux or *BSD, there are two commands, convert
and mogrify, part of ImageMagick, which can do the resizing job:

  for i in *.jpg; do mogrify -resize "1000x1000>" $i; done

Good luck,
Petko