[pmwiki-users] Notify on windows

Neil Herber (nospam) nospam at eton.ca
Thu Dec 13 11:58:55 CST 2007

On 2007-12-13 Sameer Kumar is rumoured to have said:
> Hi all,
>
> I am running Pmwiki on a Windows XP/Apache/PHP setup. I am quite a newbie and have very little experience in managing web servers.
> The web server is on a computer in our office LAN. There is an MS Exchange server also connected to the LAN that we all use for emails.
>
> I would like to enable Notify on my site. I have read the documentation on the site and have followed those instructions.
>
> I have a few questions that I would really appreciate the answers for:
> ·         Does Pmwiki need to use the Exchange server to send the email??
> ·         Is the Mail function in PHP used in this process? Do I need to configure it?
> ·         How do I check if Notify works?

PmWiki uses the PHP mail function which in turn needs to use an SMTP
server to send mail. You may need to add the following to your  config file:

	## set the PHP mail server variable
	ini_set('SMTP','192.168.x.xxx');

... but put in the IP address of your mail server.

If your Exchange server requires SMTP AUTH, you probably need to do more
- but it is beyond the scope of my knowledge.

To check if Notify works, set the following config file variables to
small values,  make some changes, and wait for the mail.

	$NotifySquelch = 3600;  # require 60+ minutes between mails
	$NotifyDelay = 300;    # send mail 5+ min after first post

Don't forget to set them back to reasonable values after testing.

--
Neil Herber
Corporate info at http://www.eton.ca/