[pmwiki-users] Initial capital letters

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Fri Feb 2 07:32:32 CST 2007

On Fri, Feb 02, 2007 at 07:04:31AM -0500, The Editor wrote:
> Is there any reason PmWiki requires pages to start with a capital
> letter?  I'm thinking of changing the allowed characters, but thought
> I'd check what the reason was first.

Mostly historical reasons having to do with wikiwords.  It can be
changed by adjusting the $MakePageNamePatterns array.

> Also, what would happen if one allowed .'s?  Would it wreck the code
> in PmWiki?  Esp the links, etc.  TIA

PmWiki expects the '.' to be used as a separator, not as a
valid character of a page name's component.  There's a fair amount
of code that expects this, both in PmWiki and in many recipes.