[pmwiki-users] Page List Degrades Performance

Kathryn Andersen kat_lists at katspace.homelinux.org
Fri Feb 2 15:24:01 CST 2007

On Fri, Feb 02, 2007 at 07:41:43AM -0600, Patrick R. Michaud wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 01, 2007 at 07:25:32PM -1000, Sivakatirswami wrote:

> This is why I've generally been opposed to trying to do too
> many things with (:pagelist:) -- it can get slow.
> This is especially true for trying to create things
> such as dynamic trails, navigation menus, etc.

Ah.  But pagelist makes things so easy!

> Also, any time you can use a trail as a source of pages,
> things go _much_ faster because PmWiki doesn't have to
> search the wiki.d/ directory for candidate pages.

Aha!
Of course, now what I want is some way of having my cake and eating it
too.  What would be nice would be to have some way of creating a trail
page (containing, say, a list of all the groups) and using that as the
source trail for the SideBar navigation; but at the same time, be able
to regenerate the contents of that trail page from a pagelist, so that
one doesn't have to update it by hand.

In other words, some way of caching the result of a pagelist.

Is that possible?

I don't think the pagelist-trail recipe is what is wanted for this,
because I assume that that has the same problems as using a pagelist
directly -- every time the pagelist-trail is referenced, it has to
recalculate the contents of the trail by looking though the whole wiki.

Kathryn Andersen