[pmwiki-users] PmWiki work directory, re-revisited

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Sat Feb 3 17:45:02 CST 2007

On Sat, Feb 03, 2007 at 09:59:25PM +0000, Hans wrote:

> To have  a "top-level" directory may be good, but we still have other
> page stores at other places, i.e. wikilib.d of various kinds (pmwiki,
> skins, recipes).

The issue isn't one of how many pagestores we have, but where
writable directories go (including the one writable pagestore directory).

> So my preferred choice would be not to have  a top-level "data"
> directory. Instead just add a "temp" directory in the pmwiki root.
> and leave wiki.d as it is.

One of my goals in this is to eliminate the step of changing
permissions on the pmwiki root when PmWiki is first installed.
In order to do that we need to have some directory (other than
root) that can be given write permissions so that PmWiki can create
its pagestore and tmp/ directories.

To help outline the differences in the various approaches, I've
started a page at http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/PmWiki/TempDirNotes
with the steps, pros, and cons associated with each approach.  Feel free
to add additional notes and/or scenario suggestions there.