[pmwiki-users] linebreaks behavior setting in config.php?

Tegan Dowling tmdowling at gmail.com
Fri Feb 9 20:01:13 CST 2007

On 2/9/07, Patrick R. Michaud <pmichaud at pobox.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 09, 2007 at 11:54:43AM -0600, Tegan Dowling wrote:
> > On 2/9/07, Castiron <castiron at gmail.com> wrote:
> > > I'd gotten the impression from the last couple go-rounds on
> > > (:linebreaks:) that you could set something in config.php to make your
> > > PmWiki installation default to breaking lines at carriage returns, but
> > > I can't figure out how to do it.  Is this actually possible?
> >
> > Can someone explain why most of PmWiki's web admins apparently do NOT
> > want this (or a cleaner version of it, if there's any problem with
> > this version) behavior as the default?
>

> There's
> a nice summary of the advantages and disadvantages of each
> approach at [1].  In January an informal poll was taken among
> the wikicreole participants [2], and the results came out 2-to-1
> in favor of having newlines be ignored (i.e., PmWiki's current
> default).
>
> PmWiki, of course, makes it possible for a wiki administrator
> to change the default... and even allows authors to mix modes
> within a single page.  And since there's not a clear majority
> one way or the other, it's better to keep the existing behavior
> and make sure it's simple for a site administrator to switch
> to the other behavior if desired.
>
>     $HTMLPNewline = '<br />';
>
> Pm
>
> [1]  http://www.wikicreole.org/wiki/ChangeLinebreakMarkupProposal
>
> [2]  http://www.wikicreole.org/wiki/VoteForLineBreaks

Ah.  Thank you, Patrick.  Just for the record, I wasn't even remotely
trying to suggest, or even hint, that you consider changing the
default.  I was just asking for help understanding *why* the clear
preference is as it is, since the default isn't, in my experience,
something that makes sense to people who come to wiki markup from the
word-processing world.  Just trying to understand what it is about it
that I'm missing.

Thanks again!